Committee Roles & Responsibilities:
- The Government Relations Committee seeks to broadly advocate for legislation that we believe will have a positive impact on our clients, our state and our profession. To do this we have established a Legislative Outreach Program seeking to get members of association involved in helping us to advocate. We are also making an effort to connect with lobbyists, have joined SBAM and make advocacy trips to Lansing at least twice a year.
- The Government Relations Committee will monitor pending national and state legislation that has an impact on the financial planning industry.
- Committee members will monitor national legislation by utilizing the FPA resource.
- Committee members will monitor legislative and regulatory activity in the state of Michigan developing legislative contacts at Capital.
- The Government Relations Chairs and Committee will communicate with members about pending and current legislation that has an impact on the financial planning industry.
- Appropriate and timely articles will be prepared for the FPA of Michigan Blog.
- A strategy for dealing with letter writing or phone campaigns in response to pending legislation will be developed and implemented.
- Communicate with legislators and regulators on the FPA Chapter’s position on pending regulations and legislation.
- Develop a strategy that will position our chapter of FPA as a resource to Michigan legislators and regulators on financial planning issues that takes advantage of our consumer orientation and our open forum, designation-neutral identification.
- This Government Relations Committee will meet at least quarterly (via teleconference) to develop and implement the goals of the Government Relations Committee.
Interested in joining the Government Relations Committee? Please fill out the Contact Form below: