The Financial Planning Association and Foundation for Financial Planning work together to arrange Pro Bono Planners for Military Veterans. As a Certified Financial Planner™ (CFP®) or financial planning professional, we invite you to give back to the men and women who have served our country by offering free, no strings attached, financial planning and education for our veterans.
The FPA and Foundation for Financial Planning have a quick sign-up link that will allow planners to see what opportunities are available.
To learn more on how to participate in this wonderful pro bono opportunity, please read below.
With the military home award program, there is typically:
- Initial communication with the organization to establish the relationship between the planner and the veteran;
- The planner and the veteran will then establish where things stand and the goals they wish to accomplish;
- Contact with veteran as needed and indicated by their non-profit organization (phone, face to face, or electronically) to discuss their goals. There will also be discussion regarding savings to pay property taxes and home insurance, as many of these programs will deed a house to the veteran; and
- The planner will need to notify the organization after the contact is complete. However, for confidentiality purposes, we generally make it the veteran’s responsibility to share the details and report on the progress to the organization.
To select a veteran and to see their location, please CLICK HERE. You will be contacted with additional details, resources and training once you choose your veteran’s location.
Please check back on the above link from time to time as new opportunities will be added as they become available.
For more resources, click below:
• Accomplishing your Financial Mission: Helping you Take Control of your Financial Life
• Worksheets and more
We hope this sign-up makes it easy to get this matching process streamlined! If you have questions, please contact Mary at 248.330.7757 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Ryan Smith and Jeff Nauta, CFA, CFP®
FPA of Michigan Pro Bono Committee